Wednesday 14 December 2005

$750 a song

Would you pay $750 a song?

Our friends are musicians. Christian McBride the world famous drummer even ranted against digital music on this site a few days ago. But that was about the way people consume music - isolated, in poor quality and dubious taste.

WTF is going on when the courts are abusing us poor honest consumers of music. After all - if we are downloading music isn't that an encouragement to consume music - by buying more CDs (and if you are cool like me LPs,) going to gigs, buying musical equipment, writing about music, talking about it, encouraging your friends onto new bands, creating, etc etc.

I would think rewarding us is a better response. We, the world's music fans, procure a disproportionate amount of unsigned or little known bands' work. We promote the consumption of the next generation of stars' produce. Before an artist becomes globally huge they need to become a moderate success in their local market. Especially Australians.

Apple's I-tunes store charges what? A dollar? And they are making plenty of money.
*And*
They are part of the corporate establishment too, so they are up and online. But doesn't the explosion in electronic distribution mean that there is more music out there and available to share? So isn't Apple part of the problem that the music establishment's re fighting against? Why the double standards?
Oh yeah - I forgot: Why not?

Are they coming for me because I used to tape music from my friends when I was a kid. (I wonder if they'll subpoena me for my childhood mixed tapes? or Andrew for his pirate Kiss collection?)

"The law here is quite clear," said Jonathan Lamy, a senior vice-president for the Washington-based RIAA. "Our goal with all these anti-piracy efforts is to protect the ability of the music industry to invest in the bands of tomorrow and give legal online services a chance to flourish." Fuck you Johnny Lame-o. (nice pun, right?)

People, I have three calls to action:
  1. Keep downloading and sharing new music
  2. Support artists who give their music away for free
  3. Resist the Australia-US free trade agreement (even though it's a done deal) because it means that many US rules become our rules.

(By the way - Daxton hates this site.)

No comments: