Friday 17 March 2006

Stolenwealth games

Well here I am in Melbourne and I suppose I should say something about the Commonwealth Games. It's a sad fact that I have been busy as hell working on a very dull and un-inspirational corporate project that is keeping the visa people off my back and doing very little else of worth.

I have got this to say though;

To be sure to be sure

Like in Sydney during the Olympics there are plenty of tourists around and there is a festival feel in the air. Going to bars will be fun and busy. Especially today - St Pat's day. Yes we all like this Saints Day best. I'm even going to invite my mate Patrick out for a pint.

Our Prime Minister

Charlotte's cousin is an athlete in the games (a steeplechaser no less) and he got a neat photo taken with our mate Johnny H. this is mostly funny to people who know Charlotte and family - who are rabidly anti John.

Stolenwealth Games

The indigenous people of Australia are protesting the theft of their land with the logo Stolenwealth Games. have a look at this Video article on the protect or visit the protest's official website here.

Indigenous affairs are in the news at the moment, not least just of the games. Our federal minister for Health, Tony Abbott, was on TV a few days ago talking about how aboriginal (mainly teens and early 20's) petrol sniffing is something the community elders should be able to manage... and the other side of the argument - there are hardly any aboriginal elders around - their average lifespan is in the 50's and they are often chronically unwell and underprivileged etc. Want to learn more? Here's somewhere to start and here is Tony's gnome page.

At least Australia's record is no worse than the US. Here's a nice quote from an American online entrepreneur on the topic...
"The white man did not steal this land from the Indians. The truth is, they shared it with us and once we killed them, it kind of became ours."

So anyway after writing this I just booked myself ticket to the boxing. And bought a new camera. Here's to a good splatter shot :)

1 comment:

GrandmasterMellyMel said...

My friend Ambrose is running in the 100m semis tonight.

I'm feelin' kinda sporty. Or not.